Newchurch Parish Church was originally a chapel-of-ease of the famous Norman church at Winwick. It was erected sometime around 1528 and was almost certainly originally built of wood. Nothing is known about the dedication of the church and the first record of a Rector is for Henry Abram who came in 1563.
A new building, paid for by public subscription, was erected on the same site in 1743. Sadly this was badly damaged by fire in April 1903. The only part of the building not completely destroyed was the tower. The parish registers and the six bells were saved. The new ‘Newchurch’ was opened on 23rd July 1904 and consecrated a week later.
The stained glass windows in the church are beautiful and a number have been dedicated to members of the congregation at the time of their installation. The window depicting Christ as the Good Shepherd with the lost sheep across His shoulders was dedicated to Thomas Ellames Withington who died on 1st March 1929 aged 71 years. Within the church is the Withington Chapel which is named after this Culcheth family.